Flu Jabs and Nasal Flu Vaccine (Influenza)
Flu is respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. Symptoms are usually cough, runny nose, headache, fever and muscle aches. Last winter, more elderly people died than would be expected because of the flu and the cold.1 A small number of young people can become seriously ill even though they were previously fit and healthy. Flu can also be life-threatening in children and adults with pre-existing medical conditions. These include…
- Chronic heart disease
- Chronic lung disease – including asthma
- Chronic neurological disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
Flu Jabs are freely available on the NHS through GPs and schools for the following groups:
- To all children and adults in these risk groups
- Adults over the age of 65 years
- The nasal flu vaccine – all children aged between 2 and 8 years
If you belong to any of these categories, you should make an appointment with your GP as soon as possible.
However, there are some reasons why you may want to come to us for your flu jab:
- Many GPs are using a vaccine that only covers three out of four strains of the virus. We know that in the last 5 out of 10 years, the vaccination did not cover all the circulating strains. We offer the vaccine that provides protection for all 4 strains.
- Patients are not always able to make a convenient appointment with their GP and so we can offer evening and weekend appointments at short notice.
- If you do not belong to a defined high risk group (see above) the vaccine is not available free of charge on the NHS. We, however, offer a comprehensive vaccine service that is affordable and convenient.
- Prices are extremely competitive and start at £11 per dose for the four strain vaccine, discounts are also available for groups.
- We are also able to administer the nasal flu vaccine to anyone between the age of 2-18 years whereas GPs can only provide this vaccine for 2-4 year olds with 4-8 year old being offered the vaccination at school. This vaccine is particularly useful for children and adolescents who are of afraid of needles. It contains a live flu virus so if you have a weakened immune system this vaccine may not be suitable for you. Other ingredients include traces of egg and gelatine, however, pig DNA has not been identified in the vaccine.
- If you are a corporate client, we can offer competitive group discounts for flu jabs and convenient appointments at your place of work read more